We finally got the wood (knotty pine tongue and groove) for our walls and ceiling. It needs to spend a few days acclimating to the humidity levels here before we can install it. This is so that it doesn’t shrink or expand too much after it’s already on the wall.
In the meantime, I’ve been thinking about the living room layout. Specifically lounging and dining comfortably for at least 4. My original plan was to utilize an Ikea Norden gateleg table which has storage built into it and can open up into a variety of sizes.
However after experimenting more with the space I have realized the shape and size of the table doesn’t really work very well in the space. After some research, brainstorming, and drawing I came to a new plan: a longer, more narrow table that can work like a bar for the two of us, but can also be moved to the center of the room to accommodate more people. Then ideally it can fold up and be put out of the way if we need to make space for lounging.
The best news is our friends at Creoworks Design and Fabrication are building this table for us. They even had the idea to make it height adjustable so that it could serve as a coffee table. We are so excited to see what they come up with.
I’ve been working on a lot of fun stuff worth the tiny house this summer. Roughing in all the systems: plumbing, electrical, propane.
In this post I’ll cover plumbing and insulation.
As far as plumbing waste we opted to use an rv blackwater tank under our floor instead of any dry toilet options. We figured the RVers have been doing it that way for years and so we could learn from them. Grey water will just drain into a bucket or a garden. Fresh water was done with all pex tubing.
We used these cool hepvo valves instead of a p-trap:
We also put in insulation. Got a good deal on some used insulation from Craigslist.
We also put in 2x6s for the loft:
Finally: some shots of buster sleeping on the job.
Next post will cover electrical and gas.
Tagged with: insulation
Posted in House
Searching Craigslist last weekend we found a 1950s metal sink kitchenette thing that caught our interest. We thought it was unique and interesting, and it would also save us some money so we decided to go for it. It is a metal base with an enamel sink, which is definitely different than anything we had thought of, but we are excited to see what we can do with it. We plan to refinish it and repaint it soon.
It took a few weeks due to inclement weather and a shortage of metal flashing but at long last there is a roof on the tiny house. It was thrilling to put the last piece in place and realize that the house will now stay dry (and that we wouldn’t have to spend the last 30 minutes of the day tarping the house again). Throughout the process we installed the roof in rain, hail, and snow. Finishing it yesterday it was snowing and very cold, but we were determined. And it feels great to be done. Though there are still a few things on the punch list here and there, for the most part the exterior shell of the house is done. Now we can start working on inside stuff like electrical, plumbing, and insulation.
A big thanks to our friend Luke who gave up a Monday holiday to come lay roofing panels. And especially to my dad who continues to give up weekend and holidays to help me.
About the roof: it is a standing seam metal roof (brand: Nu-ray Metals). It has a vented ridge cap, a drip edge on the eaves that is meant to help secure the roof in high winds. Color is “weathered copper.” One cool thing is that all the fasteners are non-exposed so there are a lot less opportunities for leaks.
Welp, ordered the metal roof; it should be arriving next week. In preparation we decided to put on the underlayment, which is basically a waterproof membrane that goes under the roof.
The underlayment we got is meant for low pitched roofs: Carlisle WIP 250. It is supposed to be installed in 50+ degree weather, luckily it got up to 52 yesterday.
We got 2 squares of it (pretty pricey) but it was just a little a short so we used 30 lb tar paper on the very ends of the roof on the sections that overhang anyway.
So excited to get the roof on soon!
This was actually done a while back over quite a few weekends but I just now got to posting it due to being so busy with our wedding (we’re now married!) Decided to go with t1-11 type siding on the bottom and lap siding on the top half.
Up next – the roof. Then the exterior should be more or less complete!
Over the weekend I was able to get the windows and door installed and also covered the sheathing with house wrap to serve as a vapor barrier (and also to help protect the house from the elements).
- Three of the windows I got used from Second Use – Seattle for about $40-$60 each.
- One window I got used from my parents. It was was a window they had left over from an earlier remodel. That one was free.
- One window I bought new from Home Depot for about $80.
- The two long sliding windows for the loft I had custom made for about $120 each.
- The sliding glass door I got for $20 on craigslist.
All the windows are white vinyl sliders because they were easy to find and all more-or-less match without technically matching.
Now we’re starting to contemplate siding options.