While in Portland for a couple days for Peter to continue his collaboration on curriculum development with a fellow art teacher, we received a call from a reporter asking for our “response to Paul’s letter”. My heart sank the minute her words hit my ear. It was our biggest fear. They aren’t willing to wait and see what the town votes next year, rather they are wanting us out now due to utility code violation (that we could actually remedy) and a pretty restrictive interpretation of a gray area in the code. Well not now… in 30 days, on September 17 to be exact.
We don’t know what we are going to do at this point… Any legal advice or suggestions are appreciated. The selfish part of me wishes it wasn’t so close to the start of the school year so that we’d have more time to make a bigger change but since that’s not the case, we’ll need to figure out a solution for this next year and then go from there.
I don’t recognize this town anymore. We felt so welcomed and appreciated up until this point. Now it just feels hostile and elitist.